St John Fisher Foundation Curriculum
THE FOUNDATION CURRICULUM: INTENT
‘The national curriculum provides pupils with an introduction to the essential knowledge they need to be educated citizens. It introduces pupils to the best that has been thought and said, and helps engender an appreciation of human creativity and achievement.’
National Curriculum 2014
At St John Fisher we have a broad and balanced curriculum which help to develop our learners alongside our core values:
- Respect: We welcome, respect and nourish each individual as a unique creation of God.
- Ambition: We set high standards and celebrate the achievements of everyone.
- Perseverance: We are passionate about developing enthusiastic, lifelong learners who relish challenge.
- Citizenship: We develop children who are well prepared for life in modern society with confidence, resilience and tolerance.
- Faith: We promote personal and spiritual growth through prayer and reflection.
These core values can be seen through:
- Having a diverse curriculum offering that explores those that are different to us with respect.
- Having a robust progression model for each subject built on ‘powerful knowledge’ in each discipline. Guiding learners through a high standard of work and achievement, celebrating successes in all subjects.
- Incorporating growth mind-set strategies into our curriculum, encouraging a depth of exploration in each and every subject discipline.
- Considering reflection on the relevance and impact of subjects on the lives and the future for our learners. Encouraging them to engage with a range of topics and selecting learning material to allow learners to build their ‘cultural capital’ as a global citizen.
- Reflecting on learning through the prism of our faith, considering how this relates to and influences all aspects of our learning.
We do this through a foundation curriculum that celebrates and develops the ‘powerful knowledge’, addressing ‘the best that has been thought and said’ in each subject discipline through thematic and discrete learning.
Please see the curriculum policy document and individual subject pages below for more details.